Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rwanda - Day 63 (Africa - Day 179)

I went to the Congo (DRC) yesterday! Had a ball while I was there.

It is very different to Rwanda. We were all but ignored by the Congolese people, with only a couple of kids yelling "muzungu" and one or two beggars...it was pretty much the complete opposite to being in Rwanda. Even in the market we weren't harrassed!
On the other hand, Rwanda is very clean and safe and Goma is not.
Only minutes after arriving at the Goma market we were taken in by the police for questioning because Sophie took a photo of a flag. A US$10 bribe later we were out of there, only to be told by the market administrator that it is not illegal to photograph the flag, but the police do not get paid much so they were supplementing their income.

The rest of the day was great, we just wandered around the town taking it all in. The volcanic rock wreaked havoc on my ankles though, it was fantastic to get back to the footpaths of Kigali.

There's a heap of photo's here.

I leave for Liberia tonight. The excitement is brewing, although I do not know what to expect.

No comments: