Saturday, December 03, 2005

Hate Me If You Want

Was I the only one on Friday night who wasn't really upset about the execution? Maybe I'm just too hard.
Firstly, I don't see people getting upset at all the other people who get executed for the same crimes in Singapore-how come we only care because he was an Australian?
Secondly, he knew it was illegal and that there were consequenses, why should the law be any different for him, just because he's an Australian?
Most importantly, why would he want to spend a life imprisoned if he could go and be with God now? I know what I'd choose. Think what you want, but I cannot really see why there was such a huge deal made when there are heaps of unsaved people dying this way every week. I do feel for his family, but at least they will see him again in eternity.

Why is it so hard to deal with capital punishment in different cultures? 2000 years ago crucified next to Christ were two thieves, are thieves worse that drug traffickers? A drug trafficker has the capacity to kill hundreds of people with a bad batch of drugs. The bible is full of capital punishment, all through Jewish law. We are not bound to that law, because of Christ's sacrifice, but Singapore's law is not based on Christian values and beliefs.
Singapore is roughly 41% Buddhist, 18% Christian, 17% Muslim, 17% secularist, and 5% Hindu. If over 40% of their population are Buddhists, and Buddhists believe in re-incarnation then why would they have a problem executing someone? Our law is based on Christian values, we do not execute people at all anymore, but I wonder why we find it so hard to get our minds around the fact that Singapore will go to any length they have to to keep their citizens safe from drugs. How many lives would be saved if we had harsher punishments for drug manufacturers, traffickers and distributors? Not that I think Australia should introduce capital punishment. I just think we've lost perspective. Singapore is at one end of the spectrum, we are at the other. Middle ground would be good for both of us.

I know some of you (maybe all of you) will be quite upset at my opinion, all I can say is I'm sorry that we see things differently. If I'm wrong I'm sure that God will deal with me, I am open to whatever he has to say to me on the matter.

1 comment:

annong said...

I agree with Annette and minibinks. And I thought it was a little strange how North Carolina, USA just had it's 1,000th death penalty punishment this weekend but no one here talked about it.